[pct-l] Lightweight Shelter and Pack

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Sep 29 15:22:38 CDT 2008

Good afternoon, Kirk,

Don't just hope,  do it.  First you should decide how much weight you are
willing to carry -- or dump.  I write from an ultra-lite position, i.e. less
than 10 lbs. of base weight, and attention to the pack and shelter is
necessary if you wish to get to that level.  I prefer to sleep in the open,
under the stars, whenever possible but I carry a homemade 12 oz. "Trail-Dad"
poncho/tarp which I erect with my hiking poles if the weather looks
threatening.  It doesn't have bug netting so I sleep in a head net when
mosquitoes are pesky.

For packs I also like to keep under a pound in empty weight.  I've been
using the 13 oz. GoLite Breeze packs.  They are now out of production, but
there are other good models about that same weight.  In that weight range
there is little/no back padding, no stays, and no hip belt.  My thin
sleeping pad folds to create structure and back padding, and with low pack
weight I find the belt  is unnecessary.

Enjoy your planning; it's great fun.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye