[pct-l] Belden to ~Chester walk-around and related

Alden Tondettar atondettar at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 15:31:16 CDT 2008

Gadget,

I hiked more or less this route back in July.  It was not suicidal or impractical, but it was still a roadwalk.  I brought a book.

For a more exiting alternative, try http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=7f771dae4dc96ade13bbdfc4c42ea7aa&event_id=178

If after reading that, you decided on the roadwalk, here is the description I posted back in July:

Starting at Belden Town Resort:

Hike EAST on highway 70 for 1.5 miles until you reach Caribou Crossroads Store (the same store that is in Yogi's book).  This is a very busy road (when it is open!), so be careful.

Turn LEFT on the paved road (light traffic).  Walk 8 miles.

Turn LEFT at the signed junction to Butt Lake [this is not a typo.  make your own jokes.] Continue about 5 miles on the dirt road to Butt Lake.  There are many roads in this area, but stay on the most heavily-used
 one and you should end up at the lake.

Continue north along the dirt road on the east shore of Butt Lake.  You will pass two campgrounds.  The second one is your last source of water until you reach Stover Camp on the PCT in about 15 miles.  After the second campground, your route becomes paved.  Stay on the paved road until you can SEE highway 89, then turn LEFT on the last logging road before the highway.  It is about 10 miles from the south end of Butt Lake to the highway.

Follow this road, which is almost never out of sight/sound of the highway, until you reach highway 36. (about 7 more miles)

Turn LEFT on highway 36.  Hike about 4-5 miles to the PCT marker. There is lots of fast traffic here, but the shoulder is halfway decent.

This is not the shortest route (there is a maze of logging roads in this area), but it should be easy to follow.

There should be a Google map of the Butt Valley route at: http://snipurl.com/2u98c

Alden