[pct-l] Laid Off - Long Trail Ideas

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:55:40 CDT 2008

This is a good time to hike the Arizona Trail.  It isn't as easy as the PCT,  but it has been hiked and biked by many people over the past 15 years or so.  Start at the north and you should be beyond the Mogollan Rim before snow season starts.

I wouldn't recommend that you do the Hayduke unless you have experience with Utah type canyon hiking - i.e. no trail, rock scrambling/climbing, navigational issues and long waterless stretches (i.e. 40 miles or more).  The country is beautiful,  but the Hayduke isn't really a trail, more of a route.  You can't do the kind of mileage you do on an established trail (i.e. the guidebook recommends less than 10 miles a day for most sections).  You need permits for each of the National Parks, which means keeping to a schedule - not easy if the guidebook mileage recommendations are correct.

The Grand Enchantment Trail would be somewhere in between the AZT and the Hayduke in terms of the amount of experience needed.  Brett's website gives really good information on the trail.  He has done a great job.  However, again you must be comfortable with uncertain navigation.  Desert trails are often unmarked at junctions and it can be hard to tell the difference between a cow trail and the hiking trail. For this one, start at the east end now and head west.

If you are comfortable with winter hiking, you could start the AT in Maine and head south.  Just go as far as you choose.

You could even hike the Colorado Trail now as long as you are prepared for the occasional snow storm.  When we hiked the CDT the first time, we reached northern CO around Labor Day and entered NM in mid-October.  It was cold, and we got some snow, but we had winter gear so we were okay.

If you don't mind hurricanes, it will soon start to cool off in Florida.

Good luck.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/