[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 59

Markbcarew at aol.com Markbcarew at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 21:15:01 CDT 2008

In a message dated 10/30/2008 6:51:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pct-l-request at backcountry.net writes:

Speaking  of the PCT Atlas mentioned below by Sean, I wanted to ask if anyone
else  has had a chance to check them out in person yet?

The PCT Atlas is all that is needed for navigation on the trail and in  town.
 The water report is invaluable for planning how much to carry  between
sources.  I liked reading the cut up guidebook pages in the  evenings for the next
days section for information on the history, geology, and  botany of the area
I was about to travel through.  I carried but did not  use the data book until
we reached the end of the PCT Atlas volume we carried  and had to rely on the
guidebook and data book for navigation.  (Only the  first volume of the PCT
Atlas was available at the beginning of the  hike this year.)  I cut up and
carried the pages of the Delorme state  topo map books that the trail went
through which gave a nice perspective of the  region I was traveling through and
helps if you need to bail off the trail.  I used and recommend the Harrison JMT
maps for the High Sierra (the PCT  Atlas volume for this section wasn't
available this year) I also carried  Yogi's pages which were informative for town
stops.

So in my opinion you can get by with just the PCT Atlas and the water  report
but if it is your first time traveling through an area and you  have any
interest in the history, geology, and/or botany I would carry the  guidebook pages
too.

- Mark -
5 Travel Deals!