[pct-l] Maps

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Thu Oct 30 13:46:23 CDT 2008

Sean,

Most hikers use the Wilderness Press PCT Guidebooks but I have started
publishing maps of the PCT which you can freely download from
http://www.pctmap.net

In the next few weeks I will finish PCT maps from the Mexican border
north to Crater Lake, OR.

I think they are turning out pretty good, and I have gotten a number
of positive comments about them from other hikers.

Briefly, the benefits of my maps are:

- They are free
- They are accurate and current, all are based on GPS tracks from
hiking the trail in 2007 or 2008
- Most of the water locations are marked on the maps
- They use a slightly larger scale ( 1:31,680 or 1" = 1/2 mile) and
are in color so they are easier to read than the guidebook
- You  can also download matching GPS waypoints for your GPS,
smartphone and Google Earth, if you are into those sorts of things

The downsides to my maps are you need computer access to print them
yourself, although my maps are in easy to print PDF files.

-Halfmile