[pct-l] Cache options on Hat Rim

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 27 16:03:29 CDT 2008

Jeff wrote:

That would be a great contribution, setting up another cache along the Rim.  We just hiked that section two weeks ago...I think a great place to setup an additional cache would be just north of the Cassel-Fall River Mills Road (the trail crosses the road and there are the famous painted footprints across the road).

Here's another suggestion - don't tell anyone in advance where you're going to set up a water cache, or at least not exactly where.

Caches are wonderful for helping people who miscalculated their amount of water, or sprang a leak in their container, or for allowing folks to enjoy a little extra drink without having to hoard every drop.  However, they can cause problems when people start relying on them as permanent, guaranteed water sources, which of course they aren't.

One way to discourage the negative effects of water caches is to not advertise them in advance.  Just put the water out there and let hikers enjoy the pleasant surprise of discovery.  That's what "trail magic" is supposed to be all about.

Just my opinion . . .

Eric