[pct-l] bounce bucket

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 13:42:48 CDT 2008

Broc, i used a 5-gallon plastic bucket as my bounce box this year.  On the one hand, it was secure from rodents, sturdy, and always easy to find in the post office.  But on the other hand, with its irregular shape and heavy weight, it was more expensive than a box would have been.  If i were to do it again, i don't think i would bounce at all.  I would instead mail things either from home or from major towns on the trail.  With some good advance planning (which i didn't really do for resupplying), the only thing i can think of that i really truly needed to bounce was battery chargers.  Well, my phone charger is about an ounce (seriously), so i'd just carry that.  The steripen was a bust and i would just use aquamira or bleach instead.  The camera battery never threatened to go dead, so i would bounce this every 3 weeks or so, just in a padded manila (sp?) envelope.  All the other things like vitamins, socks, maps, etc., i could do just fine with better
 planning and no bouncing.

The only place where i know of rodents actually getting into boxes is at VVR.

-Cuddles/markv (can i just go back to being markv now???)