[pct-l] Friday 's submission , " Base Weights . . . " ( 10 / 24 / 08 )

JOHN F PATTERSON yuppatt at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 26 10:20:29 CDT 2008

Not sure how my story ends up such a mess ( see 10/24/08 ' List ' . ) Anyone ?

  It was strongly urged that we not stop / overnight , heading north from the border until we reached the county park - some twenty or so miles away . Bob in San Diego had graciously housed me until I commenced my hike . He drove myself and a couple to the border early , early one May five morning . One of the other folks urged me ( reminded me ) to be sure to carry 6 quarts ( of water . ) Almost arrogantly ( probably arrogantly ) I disdained / declined and maybe had three .
  Fifteen miles along on a typically hot day I ran out . I had tucked myself in under a shrub - what is that major waist - high to chest - high plant along in there ? I tucked in as best I could and and gained what shade it had . Voila ! Along came Frank ( from La Belle Provence - Quebec ) and two wonderful gals ( can ' t remember where from . ) I asked for water . They had plenty and in no way begrudged me . On we went . Maybe nine through hikers ( and a jogger ! ) came through that day and most passed me .
  At Hauser Canyon ( Creek ) just where one of the guide books says especially do not camp / overnight , I ran out again . Yikes ! And as you likely know there is that exposed 800 or 900 foot switchback rise immediately thereafter and then maybe three miles to the park .
  It was now afternoon . I took off my pack and made myself comfortable in the tall grass . Hauser Creek was totally unavailable ( no water ) to parched creatures such as myself . I waited . There was a couple about half way to the top of the switch back and I watched their slow progress . The sun and heat clearly affecting them . Whoa !
  I talked to Rafter Jack . Sternly : " What in blazes do you think you are doing here ? There is absolutely NO WAY you are making it to Canada on other people ' s backs . "
  Sea Change .
  After about two hours during which I worked to wait patiently , Frank and the girls came breezing in - the girls wore parasols between the pack and their backs . Brightly colored which could be seen well in advance of their arrival . Clever . And again they were munificent ( Thank you Frank , thank you wonderful women ! )
  The very next day a hiker came through who had perhaps foolishly decided to stay at Hauser overnight . Three A M five ' illegals ' woke him and took all his water . His friends dubbed him , " Cotton Mouth " , when he trailed in parched ( and wiser ) the next day .
 Maybe ' six ' ( quarts ) needs to stand ( certainly for some of us ) here and there .
   Rafter Jack