[pct-l] JMT thru hiking

Jonathan Blees Jblees at energy.state.ca.us
Sat Oct 25 12:48:05 CDT 2008

Scott,

1. You and your friend are blessed as fathers to have such a wonderful adventure with your children. Have a great trip!

2. 8-10 days seems rather fast to me, especially for the JMT, which is the most beautiful part (so you might want to take more "view stops"), and one of the most difficult parts, of the PCT.  8 days requires about 25 mpd, and 10 days about 20 mpd, if you start at Tuolemne, a little more if you start in the Valley. My understanding is that most thru-hikers average less than 20 mpd -- but they're usually slowed by snow, which won't be a problem for you starting in late July.  So people "in excellent, athletic condition" carrying "packs weighing 25 lbs
maximum" are certainly capable  of 20-25 mpd. Btw, your choice of SOBO is good; you will acclimate on the 10,000-11,000-foot passes before hitting the 12,000-13,000-passes (and Whitney) further south.

3. I will be hiking Taboose Pass - Tuolemne next summer, starting sometime between mid-July and early August.  Hope to see you on the trail!

Wildheart
<<<