[pct-l] " Base weights . . . " Six

JOHN F PATTERSON yuppatt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 25 10:53:08 CDT 2008

--0-585269098-1224949988=:63973

Hi Diane - =0A=A0 It was strongly urged that we not stop / overnight headin=
g north from the border until we reached the County Park - some 20 or so mi=
les away . Bob in San Diego had graciously housed me until I commenced my h=
ike . He drove myself and a couple to the border early , early one May five=
 morning. =0A=A0 One of the other folks urged me ( reminded me ) to be sure=
 to carry the requisite 6 quarts . Almost arrogantly ( probably arrogantly =
) I disdained / declined and maybe had three=A0plus . =0A=A0 Fifteen miles =
along on a typical hot day I ran out . =0A=A0 I had tucked myself in under =
the - what is that shrub called ? I tucked myself in and gained what shade =
it had . Voila ! Along came Frank ( from La Belle Provence - Quebec ) and t=
wo wonderful gals ( can ' t remember where from . ) I asked for water . The=
y had plenty and in no way begrudged me . =0A=A0 On we went . =0A=A0 Maybe =
nine through hikers ( and a ' jogger ' ! ) came through that day . Most pas=
sed me. At Hauser Canyon ( just where the books most warn you not to overni=
ght ) I ran out again ! Yikes .=A0And as likely you know there is that expo=
sed switchback' lift ' of maybe 800 or 900 feet just beyond and then maybe =
three miles to the park . =0A=A0 I took off my pack and relaxed in the tall=
 grass after assuring myself Hauser Creek was totally not available to parc=
hed creatures such as myself . Whoa ! =0A=A0 I talked to Rafter Jack . Ster=
nly=A0: =0A=A0 " What in blazes do you think you are doing here ? There is =
absolutely NO way you are going to get to Canada behaving like this . " =0A=
=A0 Sea change . =0A=A0 After maybe two hours in which I worked to wait pat=
iently=A0, Frank and the wonderful ' girls ' ( who wore parasols - brightly=
 colored , tucked between their packs and their backs ) came along=A0. =0A=
=A0 It was not a sure thing that they - or anyone , were still behind me . =
=0A=A0 And again they were munificent ( the very next day a hiker came thro=
ugh who HAD , perhaps foolishly - decided to stay over at Hauser and during=
 the night five ' illegals ' had awoken him at two A M and taken=A0 his wat=
er . His buddies gave him the trail name , " Cotton Mouth " when he trailed=
 in after hiking that lift and the balance of three or so miles w / o water=
 the next day . )=0A=A0 Maybe ' six '=A0needs to stand . . . here and there=
 ?=0A=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Rafter Jack
--0-585269098-1224949988=:63973

<DIV>&nbsp; It was strongly urged that we not stop / overnight heading north from the border until we reached the County Park - some 20 or so miles away . Bob in San Diego had graciously housed me until I commenced my hike . He drove myself and a couple to the border early , early one May five morning. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; One of the other folks urged me ( reminded me ) to be sure to carry the requisite 6 quarts . Almost arrogantly ( probably arrogantly ) I disdained / declined and maybe had three&nbsp;plus . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Fifteen miles along on a typical hot day I ran out . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I had tucked myself in under the - what is that shrub called ? I tucked myself in and gained what shade it had . Voila ! Along came Frank ( from La Belle Provence - Quebec ) and two wonderful gals ( can ' t remember where from . ) I asked for water . They had plenty and in no way begrudged me . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; On we went . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Maybe nine through hikers ( and a ' jogger ' ! ) came through that day . Most passed me. At Hauser Canyon ( just where the books most warn you not to overnight ) I ran out again ! Yikes .&nbsp;And as likely you know there is that exposed switchback' lift ' of maybe 800 or 900 feet just beyond and then maybe three miles to the park . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I took off my pack and relaxed in the tall grass after assuring myself Hauser Creek was totally not available to parched creatures such as myself . Whoa ! </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I talked to Rafter Jack . Sternly&nbsp;: </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; " What in blazes do you think you are doing here ? There is absolutely NO way you are going to get to Canada behaving like this . " </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Sea change . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; After maybe two hours in which I worked to wait patiently&nbsp;, Frank and the wonderful ' girls ' ( who wore parasols - brightly colored , tucked between their packs and their backs ) came along&nbsp;. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; It was not a sure thing that they - or anyone , were still behind me . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; And again they were munificent ( the very next day a hiker came through who HAD , perhaps foolishly - decided to stay over at Hauser and during the night five ' illegals ' had awoken him at two A M and taken&nbsp; his water . His buddies gave him the trail name , " Cotton Mouth " when he trailed in after hiking that lift and the balance of three or so miles w / o water the next day . )</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Maybe ' six '&nbsp;needs to stand . . . here and there ?</DIV>
--0-585269098-1224949988=:63973--