[pct-l] Misleading, just a bit

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 18:48:05 CDT 2008

Before you get TOO excited about trying to copy Nimblewill's pack weight, keep in mind that he had a support van.  His self-professed Rules #1-3 for ultralight backpacking:  "PUT IT IN THE VAN!"

I was one who was rarely carrying more than 2 liters of water in the desert, and rarely more than 1 liter in the Sierra.  I regularly ran out of water a couple miles before the next source, on purpose.  Why carry it to the next source and drink it there?  But, there were certainly times when i did carry 4-5 liters.  Before you go overboard with carrying less water, make sure you differentiate between SURE water sources (plan to run out early) and POSSIBLE water sources (carry extra just in case).  Any cache is only a POSSIBLE source, unless you have information that's very very up-to-date.