[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 10, Issue 39

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 22 09:49:10 CDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 11:43 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I am also looking at ultra-light backpacks such as Rays, the GoLite
> Jam 2, Six Moons Comet, the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and others.?I
> currently haul a Ospry Talon.? ?My problem is that once I fill a
> bear vault with 5 days to a weeks worth of?food, plus a base weight
> of 20-25 lbs, I am up around 35-45 lbs.? My impression is that this
> is a lot of weight for one of these packs.? I have also been known
> to "plop" down none-to-gently and fall back to rest with the pack
> still on.? I am concerned as to the "ruggedness" of some of these
> packs.? Your experiences are hereby solicited.? Thanks.

I started with an old, very light backpack, not one of the famous
brandss. I found it uncomfortable carrying the extra weight of water
and a full-sized bear cannister simply would not fit. Well, it would
fit, but only if I brought nothing else.

I ended up driving in to REI from Agua Dulce and buying an Osprey.
After I did that, despite it being a heavier pack, it felt like much
less weight.

I think I could have switched back to my light pack after I ditched
the bear can. Temperatures were so warm in July that I stopped
carrying extra layers and my Osprey pack ended up being a little too
big. I suppose I could have gone back to my old pack when the extra
size and weight-handling were not needed. An option for others perhaps.