[pct-l] no hitchhiking

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 18:25:09 CDT 2008

PCT MOM wrote:
"Isn't "hitching" the same as getting a ride in any form ??  Yogi-ing a
ride, taxi, motel pick up ?? A ride's a ride."

It depends on context, I guess, and what the concern is.
A taxi or a motel pickup or an arranged ride is different from asking rides
of random strangers in terms of potential safety, comfort, for some people
there's a sense of being independent, not having to beg for things and be
beholden ... it really depends on the person.

Yogi'ing a ride from people who are relatively stationary at the place that
you're at (local store, bar, at a campground or whatever) is in turn
different from sticking your thumb out and dealing with whoever does (or
doesn't ...) opt to pull over.  In the latter case you have no a priori
control, all you can do is make a snap assessment in terms of safety and
comfort level, whereas in the former case you can do some sizing up before
making your request.

So --- very much depending on what the concerns of the particular hiker is
--- a ride isn't necessarily just "a ride" !

YMMV of course!  :-)

BTW, I was very sorry to not stop by your place en route this year.
DiGiorno and I were inclined at the time, but since my wife came up to help
out (I live not too far east of Seattle), the dynamic just didn't make
sense.  I definitely would have (gratefully) been there otherwise!

Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle