[pct-l] Pct-l Grandma Gatewood

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 23:56:47 CDT 2008

Steel-Eye writes: Think how much better it would be if we all started at Campo hiking like Grandma Gatewood on the AT who carried little more than a bedroll, an old shower curtain for shelter, and a sack of food.  That's pretty much the
lowest common denominator.
Switchback replies: I have heard that Grandma Gatewood had a lot of Trail Magic support on her hikes.  It may not have been called that back then, but she could afford to be gear basic.  I think there might be a lot of folklore at work here.  It is the same about John Muir throwing some bread and tea in his coat pockets and heading off into the Sierras.  I would like to see someone go off and try this.  I think I know already what would happen the first time the weather changed for the worst -- John Muir, Norman Clyde, etc., all had lots of adventures based on screwing up.

It is the same with mountainmen of old.  They ended up eating their loyal horses and dogs on their expeditions gone wrong on more than one occasion.  All we normally hear is about are the wonderful adventures and exciting successes.  I don't believe this nonsense for one second.

The only criteria I have for gear is total weight.  Is my backpack under 20 pounds?  What is carried is the choice of the backpacker - basics to lots of goodies.  Also, is my belly pack comfortable to carry with the water containers?  If the answers are yes, then I am ready to go.  But I am from the old school when a modest trip into the Sierras meant a pack in the 60+ pound range.  I remember those days very clearly.  So, may be my perspective is messed up.