[pct-l] Dry Milk on the Trail

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 22:38:58 CDT 2008

I like a little milk my with water based protein shakes.  I carry mine in a small .7 ounce bottle from the Walmart small items section in the sundries dept.  Of course, it is made in Commie China.  With 8 tablespoons of powder milk in it, it comes in at 3.5 ounces.

I like a bottle for the dry milk, since every time I use a ZipLocks, etc., they leak or are hard to use.  I only use about 1-2 tbs per shake.  A shake and a ProBar or LaraBar are a nice way to start the day on the trail.  Eating breakfast early in the morning on the trail is one of my favorite parts of the day --- 5 to 9 AM.  This gives you a nice easy cool 8 to 10 miles before everyone else is breaking camp to hit the trail.

I have many time been hiking in the early morning and pass a campsite full of hikers.  It is dead silent.  No one is stirring.  I have been on the trail for several hours.  If you do even 10 miles by 11 AM, you have the rest of the day to do the other 10 to 14 miles to be on thru hiker mileage.  That is kind of nice if you like to eat on the move.

By the way, my second favorite part of the day to hike is from around 5-8 PM.  Very nice.  It is getting cooler.  The day is coming to an end.  Just a great time to be out on the trail.  If you do a leisurely 6 miles during this time, you can pull into camp feeling pretty good.