[pct-l] Pct-l Peas and Bears

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 17:23:24 CDT 2008

Steel-Eye writes: Good morning, I have a different way of dealing with pesky bears:  I cut a large hole in the ice of a lake, sprinkle canned peas around the edge, and move off a ways to hide and watch.  When the bear comes up to take a pea, I kick him in the ice hole.
Switchback replies: This is outstanding.  Said like a true mountaineer.  Like a true mountainman.  This is what we need more of on the trail.  I am glad I am not alone.

Say, all this talk about massive storms in the Sierras has gotten me excited.  I can't wait to get up there into it.  Mother Nature flexing her muscles is the way to go ....... if you have your gear planned out.  I just got a BeautyRest  giant 36X20 inch king size pillow and a super soft comforter for my Hubba tent.  I already have a Thermo-Rest Dreamland sleeping pad --- it weighs 6.5 pounds.  Talk about luxury for the old Hubba.  Of course, none of this is for backpacking, but for camping next to my Prius hybrid PCT Support Vehicle.

If it gets real bad, then I will sleep in the Prius.  No problem.