[pct-l] Shelter on the Trail

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Wed Oct 1 10:12:27 CDT 2008

The only problem with the Hubba (besides the 3+ lb weight) is that broadside to the wind, it acts as a sail.  The Hubba does not do well in high winds, as I witnessed first hand last month on the JMT near Donohue Pass.  In fact, it is only rated to 40 mph.  My son's Mountain Hardware tent is rated to 80 mph.  But, the Hubba headroom is wonderful.  Feels like you are in a cathedral when compared to my old Gerry tent and son's claustrophobic MH tent.

Tom
The Incredible Bulk

---- Hiker97 <hiker97 at aol.com> wrote:

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikers writes: I treasured my The One tent with full bug netting and slept in it (and ate in it) almost every single night. I do not like mosquitos coming anywhere near my face or committing suicide in my dinner. However, I could have slept outside more in certain non- mosquito places and could have saved myself carrying the tent around by mailing it forward. What would have been perfect is if I had some kind of upper-body bug net tent. My head net was not enough to allow sleeping outside with mosquitos comfortably. I started to build something along the way, but I never perfected it so it didn't work very well.
Switchback replies: I use the Hubba solo tent with carbon fiber poles.  It is free-standing and weighs about 2.5 pounds.  Very nice.  I like a netting tent with 360 views.  No nylon prison for me in the great outdoors - which is about 89.76% of the bug proof shelters out there.  I think the SixMoonDesigns.com 7 ounce Serenity netting tent and the 11 ounce Gatewood Cape has good possibilities for only 18 ounces.  If I was going on a long hike, this might be the combo I would use.  Nice.  My Ray Jardine style Breeze pack weighs in at about 17 ounces with modifications and my sleeping bag weighs 17 ounces.  I would guess my clothing is on the heavy side.  I like to have all types of combinations for weather with my clothing, but I am still very light probably compared with a lot of hikers.  Plus, my clothing supplements my sleeping bag warmth very nicely.  Bring on the bad weather.