[pct-l] Shelter on the Trail

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 03:36:29 CDT 2008

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikers writes: I treasured my The One tent with full bug netting and slept in it (and ate in it) almost every single night. I do not like mosquitos coming anywhere near my face or committing suicide in my dinner. However, I could have slept outside more in certain non- mosquito places and could have saved myself carrying the tent around by mailing it forward. What would have been perfect is if I had some kind of upper-body bug net tent. My head net was not enough to allow sleeping outside with mosquitos comfortably. I started to build something along the way, but I never perfected it so it didn't work very well.
Switchback replies: I use the Hubba solo tent with carbon fiber poles.  It is free-standing and weighs about 2.5 pounds.  Very nice.  I like a netting tent with 360 views.  No nylon prison for me in the great outdoors - which is about 89.76% of the bug proof shelters out there.  I think the SixMoonDesigns.com 7 ounce Serenity netting tent and the 11 ounce Gatewood Cape has good possibilities for only 18 ounces.  If I was going on a long hike, this might be the combo I would use.  Nice.  My Ray Jardine style Breeze pack weighs in at about 17 ounces with modifications and my sleeping bag weighs 17 ounces.  I would guess my clothing is on the heavy side.  I like to have all types of combinations for weather with my clothing, but I am still very light probably compared with a lot of hikers.  Plus, my clothing supplements my sleeping bag warmth very nicely.  Bring on the bad weather.