[pct-l] Birds and Pt Sal

The Incredible Bulk taterno at cox.net
Sun Nov 30 20:55:41 CST 2008

My observation is that there are less song birds now that in the past.  The past meaning, before the raven and crow populations soared, as they have in recent years.  I am not sure, but maybe these birds raid the nests of the song birds, killing their young.  This just my opinion based on observation.

Tom
The Incredible Bulk

---- Greg Hummel <bighummel at aol.com> wrote:

Took a day hike out to Pt Sal this morning.? Perfect weather, beautiful ridges and rocks and flora and huge Pacific breakers rolling in and pounding the point.? This area is some of the wildest on the CA coast.?

I was wondering while driving out and seeing several thousand finches lining a telephone-power line, whether recent hikers who have several decades of hiking experience under their belts, have noticed that the population of birds and the variety of birds has increased since DDT was banned.

Best regards,

Greg Hummel "Strider" and proud poster of only 39 posts so far, well 40 including this one!
Husband, Father, Geologist and amateur at various other endeavors.