[pct-l] The cost of hiking

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 27 13:04:11 CST 2008

Did they count the cost of their mortgage or other bills in the cost of their hike?  It's obviously cheaper for someone who puts their belongings in storage somewhere, as opposed to someone who is maintaining a household to return to upon completion of their hike; the savings required are greater if you want to keep things in the black and maintain a household while you're away.

I've heard costs ranging from about $2,500 and up to however much you have or want to spend for "on trail" expenses.  A lot of that depends on what you do in towns -- eating, drinking, or lodging.  If you share rooms or camp on town outskirts, don't indulge on restaurant meals and alcohol, you'll spend less.

I just love the fact that there's no need for money while you're on the trail.  It's one of the best things about the experience for me.  I guess you could do online shopping if you have a handheld device that accesses the internet . . .