[pct-l] Introductions and IPhone question

Erik Turnberg erik.turnberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 00:00:07 CST 2008

A big hello to everyone one the list.  I'm Granite and my partner is
Terrapin Flyer.  We met on the AT while thru hiking in 07 and we're
planning a PCT hike this spring.  Right now we're living in
Northampton, MA (so if there are any PCT alum in the area that would
be willing to talk trail we'd love to meet you sometime).

Anyways, on to the question.  We both like journalling.  I used a
moleskin on the AT and eventually got sick of transcribing it onto
trailjournals, so my trail journal sort of died after VA.  Terrapin
used a pocket mail, which is great but a little large and bulky.

We're probably going to bring the pocket mail for both of us on this
hike, but we recently got a chance to play with a friend's iphone and
were thinking that it might make a great, more functional replacement
for the pocketmail.  Does anyone have any experience with using the
iphone out on the trail for journaling?  Also, does anyone know how
ATT's coverage is in the trail towns along the way and whether there
are any wifi spots in any of the towns?

Thanks,

Granite