[pct-l] List of what I might need to take with me?

Sean Carey seanpct75 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 22:29:12 CST 2008

Hello,

I am really wondering as I have been reading over many of the threads in
this forum and slowly compiling my own list of what to bring with me. I am
wondering if anyone that has thru hiked can list what it is they have
brought or would bring with them? I am going to be attempting a thru hike
starting in late April as far as I can tell. I also have been reading about
the budget needed and I guess it's also making me a little nervous. I do not
have a lot of money but am slowly putting money aside for this trip.

I am sure while I am on the trail some of this will change, but I believe I
cut out certain things to save me money on the way. Definitely including
limiting staying at hotels and etc. I know it is not the same as being on a
trail for 4-5 months, but I lived in my van for a year and learned a lot
about finding "free" recources that way. Showering in bathrooms etc.
Showering being wiping yourself down with soap and cloth and washing your
hair in a sink.

I guess what I am saying is I don't mind cutting down on some of these
comforts at all. I really want to do this. I have been doing lots of
research already and just want to find out more about what I can do. I will
pretty much probably be taking and spending whatever money I have and
possibly selling many of my possesions to do this. I do not mind grinding
out a job somewhere afterwards for while or whatever else I need to figure
out. This is something I really want to do.

Anyhow back to my question. I am simply wondering if anyone who has thru
hiked the pct can give me an idea of everything I might need to bring with
me? Also including information about ressuply areas or how that works and
how often I might need to do this? I was hoping maybe I could buy a lot of
the stuff I might need on the way. From what I have read though there are
some places where there are large distances in between and you need to send
supplies. I am trying to find out about all of this kind of stuff.

I want to thank you all so much ahead of time for any answers and help you
can give. I really do appreciate this forum being here. I  searched around
and have found this so far to be the best place to come. I enjoy just
starting at the top of a thread and reading through as far as  I can in one
sitting. Thank you very much.

Sean C.