[pct-l] Hiker Safety

Bob BobandShell97 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 26 18:26:14 CST 2008

> The scariest thing I heard about was someone fell into Woods Creek and got
stuck in the water for an hour.

Now you've done it.  Memory-time.  In 1986, I got to Woods Creek in the days
before there was any bridge there.  There was a red backpack wedged in some
rocks out in the middle of the really strong, forceful creek. From my log:

"They told us that a hiker (PCTer) yesterday, in trying to ford Woods Creek
up ahead, lost his pack and that it was downstream in mid-stream, hung up on
a log!  It seems he backtracked 4 miles and spent the night with a ranger.
Woods Creek, when we got there, was frightening!  There was the red pack,
stuck in the middle of the stream. Downstream, Jim bridged the worst spot by
throwing three logs across. Then, we waded the other two sections of Woods
Creek in our running shoes.  There was really tough, strong current in the
last one.  I don't think I could have waded the main stream. Starting on, we
ran into one of the park backcountry rangers.  She was quite concerned,
because a family of five was coming up the trail and she had never seen the
stream this high!"

I happened to run into the same ranger in 1988 and the postscript to that
story is that the PCT hiker came back a week later in 1986 with a friend,
and with the help of this ranger and some ropes, got to his pack in the
middle of the torrent, only to find a bear had gotten there first and ripped
out the food.

Dr Bob