[pct-l] Boy Scouts and trail etiquette

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 10:30:29 CST 2008

Thanks Bob.  I totally agree with you.  It appears that sometimes we thru-hikers (and yes the section hikers on the list as well) think we are the model hikers.  Yet, as I have said before on this list, I doubt that any of us on the list that have have hiked significant portions of the trial could say that there was not at least a couple of incidents where they might question their actions.

Last year there was quite a lot of comments made to the the Sharpie graffetti on the trail markers.  This was likely done by one of our comrades in the thru-hiking community.  And there have been several cases in the recent past where the evidence points to thru-hikers having responsibility for igniting fires.

And, how many of us have camped at the Deep Creek Hot Springs, even though the signage clearly indicates it is not legal to camp there.  Nope, we have all done it.

From: "Bob Sartini" <r.sartini at rcn.com>