[pct-l] January Start?

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Nov 23 10:02:35 CST 2008

All excellent points.  I would only add that the resupply opportunities through the Sierras in March (which is about when you'd hit them if you started in January and traveled an average pace) would be very limited, though you'd probably run into open ski lifts at Mammoth!  Access roads to trailheads would not be open -- neither would VVR, MTR, Red's Meadow, or Tuolumne -- all vital resupply points for nobos.  I could only visualize doing a winter traverse of the Sierras on x-country skis pulling a sled with all your supplies. The need for awareness of avalanche hazards cannot be overstated.

That said, some extremely talented and experienced hikers I know are considering a winter PCT journey. We hosted a hiker a few years ago that came southbound through the Sierras, going over Forrester November 17.  He had a professional guide with him though, and spent a great deal of time (weeks) down in towns waiting out storms.

Only you know your skill level and abilities, so I won't tell you don't try it. But it is safe to say that a winter trek would not be sensible for the average hiker and should only be attempted by those who are ready to face the many challenges they'd encounter.

L-Rod