[pct-l] Hiking Alone

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 17:59:13 CST 2008

I have come to love hiking alone, but every couple days I enjoy a comrade at
night.  I like catching up on how it has been, what worked what didn't, "did
you see. . ."  and laughs.   I love to laugh.   My best days have been spent
with other very experienced hikers that I need not worry about or wonder
about and basically looking at the map and deciding where we should shoot
for that evening or the next couple days.   Then we spend the day hiking
alone perhaps to camp together at night, or meet up in a couple days in
town.   I like to drift without effort in and out of my company.   To pull
this off, my hiking partners need to be on the same wave pattern.

When hiking alone for days on end I can get lonely and at the same time love
the solitude.  Being alone brings moments of clarity I can not explain.  I
often have this thought when it happens, "I wish you could be here alone
with me right now".  Of course you see the contradiction.  You can't be
alone with me.   A significant part of the stark, stripped down moment I am
having, that I want to share, has been baking all day in the solitude - so
it is impossible to share.  Once "you" show up, we blinked and it is gone.
I can not say what that moment is.  I can not define what veil has been
lifted, but some filter is gone and this is a fragile moment.  In those
instances the edge between me and this is indeterminate.  And when the
moment passes my eyes will mist and I look around for someone to make eye
contact with just to quietly mind-whisper, "wow, yea".  Then I realize
again, that I am alone.

As for group hiking versus alone hiking and which is hiking your own hike, I
think that deciding to hike with a group and being part of a group decision
process is as much hiking your own hike as any other style.   If you make a
choice to be part of the group, then it is a choice, it is your choice, it
then is your hike and the results of that decision create a hike that is as
much your own as anyone's.  Hiking your own hike is at its core about
choosing your own methods and paths.   That would include deciding on hiking
with others and deciding to participate in a quorum and deciding when not
to.