[pct-l] hiker safety

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Nov 22 17:12:07 CST 2008

Sorry this is an essay.
On Nov 22, 2008, at 8:45 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Re: hiker safety (d hans)

To answer the question about being a solo woman hiker:
Do not put it off any longer. Do not let fear take away the amazing
experience waiting for you.

Overwhelmingly, one of the things we hikers--men and women--all
agreed on, commented on, marveled at, was how our faith in our fellow
man had been restored. We often talk of trail magic, equating it with
things like the nice people who open their homes and let us stay and
get cleaned up, or the rides we got while hitching into town, or the
coolers full of fruit and soda found along the trail. But there is
another kind of trail magic you will experience. It is the magic of
how when you have let go of everything, all your possessions, all
your expectations, assumptions and everything, and you become calm
and open in your heart and mind, you find that you are provided with
everything you need just when you need it. The hike is not about
gear. It's not about fear. It's not about safety and athleticism. At
least not for everyone, and least of all for the solo woman traveler.
It's a spiritual journey that renews your faith in other people, in
yourself and your abilities and in Nature itself. Don't let the fear
civilization instills in you to keep itself devouring our planet and
controlling your every waking moment keep you from this experience.

To answer the question about bad things that actually happened:
The creepiest thing that happened to me was when I was hiking out of
Burney Falls and met up with a man carrying an ax. Something about
the conversation felt strange. He had forest service issue pants but
his shirt was some old fire shirt with holes in it from being washed
a million times. His appearance did not look quite official. I had
remembered seeing a forest service truck parked just two minutes
away, so I figured he must have been legit. But I did have a sense in
the back of my mind that the encounter felt odd and I was glad he
didn't pick me to hack up with that ax. Later I saw his handy-work
where he had chopped up a log fallen over the trail and felt relieved.

That was the only truly creepy thing that happened and it was a non-
happening. And you know what? If he had hacked me up with the ax, at
least I would have hiked the PCT before I died.

Then there were the other things that actually did happen. Like
having a trail angel say mean things about me on the list and then
trying to stay under the radar so nobody would know who I was while I
stayed at their house. Then having the trail angel figure out my real
name. At least nothing mean was said to my face and I slipped away
the next day without incident. The only bad thing about that was
feeling a little uncomfortable, and that was probably all self-
inflicted since nothing uncomfortable actually happened.

And then there was the time my feet were killing me and I saw a sign
on the trail to a trail angel house so I called the number. The stay
there was the most miserable experience I had on the trail. The
person yelled at me and spoke to me and about fellow hikers with
contempt. I couldn't wait to get out of there and back to the trail.

Other than that, every encounter with other people was amazing.
People were so kind. People who pick up hitchhikers ended up being
the nicest people. I was surprised who would pick me up and who
wouldn't. People in post offices were just amazing. People I met in
towns were so excited to meet me. They'd take my picture and want to
know everything I was doing and were so inspired because I was an
ordinary woman all alone. Other hikers on the trail, some not thru-
hikers, were amazing too. I got rides and pizza from some nice
weekenders.

I'm usually a total misanthrope and generally lack many social
skills. I get lonely and depressed, too. I had somebody tell me once
that a friend is just someone you haven't met yet. It took this trail
to show me what that means.

The world is full of great people and wonderful experiences. Go out
there and live it!

~Piper