[pct-l] An intro and Canadian questions

Tamsin McMahon tamsinrm at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 18:25:10 CST 2008

Hello all!

Myself and a friend are starting our prep for a 2009 PCT thru-hike. I've been thinking about this hike for years, but the time was never right until now. We've ordered the guidebooks and I've read through a bunch of the trail journals, and I've previously lurked on this list, but now we're starting the real planning.

Both myself and my friend are Canadians and I have some initial questions about the B.C. border crossing (God willing we'll make it that far!) and

- Are there any issues about crossing the Washington/B.C. border on foot with a Canadian passport? I have heard some mention of a permission to reenter the country.

- Also, are there any issues with spending more than 6 months in the U.S.?

- Has anyone had problems with U.S. customs when they ask you the nature and duration of your trip?

- I've never been to Mexico and am thinking of taking a little jaunt to San Diego and then to Tijuana just to say I've been to Mexico (before we start the hike.) Has anyone had any issues crossing the Mexico/U.S. border?

I'm sure I'll have many other questions!

Thanks,
Tamsin