[pct-l] OT - New Pocket Mail-type device...

Postholer public at postholer.com
Thu Nov 13 17:16:22 CST 2008

> Exchange-based email is more often associated with corporate or
> business email systems rather than Internet or web-based email.

Exactly. If you only have email from work or school and access that email
via Outlook and an MS-Exchange server the device *may not* work with that
account. You can always get a gmail account and be done with it, though.

> This doesn't sound quite right to me.  POP3 is for reading email.SMTP is
> for *sending* email.

SMTP sends and receives, but it's rarely used that way in the client/server
environment. Yes, typically you use POP3 to connect to your mail server for
reading and use SMTP for sending from the client to the server Or IMAP since
we're dotting i's and crossing t's here. Mail server to mail server
send/receive uses only SMTP. If you're sitting on your (*NIX) mail server
reading your email you don't need POP3 or IMAP, just a mail reader.

The point I was making to the buyer was, you *need* a POP3 accessable email
account and I should have never uttered SMTP as not to confuse. With a
Pocketmail device it's all transparent, but you need a phone.

The whole world doesn't live and die by windows/mac.

-postholer