[pct-l] Local Victorville/Apple Valley area hikes question

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 12:18:53 CST 2008

I live in the mountains just South of VV and have hiked all the trails/roads in the mountains and some of roads in the dessert.  There is a lot of BLM land all over VV ..... there will be very few trails but a lot of open dessert and tons of dirt roads ..... I personally like the area around deep creek.  There are also a lot of rock scrambles very near Apple Valley ---- just look for the graffiti - my guess most of these are private property.

The best bet that you have is Lake Silverwood SP.  The PCT runs right through it.  Go out Lake Arrowhead Road (Main street Hesperia turns into it) to the Aqua Duct.  Deep Creek is right here and is sometimes troublesome to cross so if you want to go East/South park near the access to the Dam.  If you want to go West/North go up 173 just after it turns dirt.  This area has a reputation for vandalism.

Another access point to the PCT is Cedar Springs Dam - go west on 173 and then a south up the hill to the damn.  From here you can go either way on the PCT.  OR go up the dirt roads to Pilot Rock.

You can also access the PCT near the main entrance of the Park and go either way ....... and there is a trail on the South and West Side of the Lake that goes to Millers Canyon and up to Pilot rock from the South.

The last easy place to access the PCT is at the MCDonalds where 138 crosses 15.

You live in a great area for hiking when you have a desire for more of a dayhike or weekend adventure - there are tons of hikes in any of the trail towns of Big Bear and Wrightwood and a little further San Gorgonio, Angeles Mountains, Baldy and San Jacinto.  No excuses for NOT having fun in the outdoors when you live in SoCal.

Hope this helps.

SB