[pct-l] Cali backpacking in December-Need suggestions

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Fri Nov 7 18:34:14 CST 2008

Jacob Allen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm going to have a week to spend backpacking anywhere in California this December (week after Christmas).  Can anyone give me some good suggestions that are:
>
> not snow covered
> allow dogs
> great views
> light on traffic
> have reliable water sources

well, anywhere in CA that's not snow covered in december is also not
going to have totally reliable natural water sources. some may be
flowing, but many may not be. you should be prepared to carry much more
water than you're used to carrying back east.

you could hike from campo to warner springs- that's section A on the
pct. there may be some snow in the lagunas, but it's not likely to be a
big problem if there is. as far as i know, dogs are legal along this
whole stretch. there are great desert views to the east, and the traffic
is light along most of the roads you'll cross. as for water, there
aren't that many natural sources, and as noted, many of those are likely
to be dry. but there are a fair amount of un-natural sources that should
be reliable.

also, there are several of us in san diego that routinely give rides
to/from the pct. i could personally offer you a ride from san diego to
campo, and a pick-up in warner springs back to san diego.

cheers!
girlscout