[pct-l] Hike from West Side into PCT, Kings Canyon N. P.

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Thu Nov 6 12:40:10 CST 2008

>From: David Craft <chsyhkr at gmail.com>
>In planning a hike for next summer I am looking for input on hiking into the PCT from the west side at the end of Highway 180 via either the Bubbs Creek or Woods Creek trails in Kings Canyon N.P.
>
>Thoughts on the conditions of these trails and passes and is Rae Lakes worth a visit is helpful.

David,  I have hiked both routes MANY times, and both have some definant advantages.
Heading up Paradise Valley/Woods Creek gives a faster access to the backcountry, but it also goes through THE most active bear region on the JMT.  The bears here are MORE aggressive than in Yosemite.  Two summers ago, a hiker was actually bitten when a bear came up to him and woke him from a nap.  (This is not an urban folk-tale.  I have met the man, seen the scars, and spoken with the Rangers.  Pictures are available!)  Do NOT leave your pack lying around un-attended.  Once you head north from Kings Canyon (and leave the flat, dusty trail behind), the trail is quite nice.  Be sure to stop and admire the waterfalls along the way.  there are also many decent campsites available along this valley route.
But!! ...
Heading up to Bubbs Creek, over Glenn Pass, and then to the Rae Lakes is a MUST SEE region.  The hike is MUCH more strenuous on this trail, but the views you get are well worth the effort.  In fact, I have stopped hiking through Paradise Valley just so I can return to the Rae Lakes area.  Be fore-warned, though, that a LOT of people make this loop.  In fact, it is the most popular loop trail in the Sierra.  So, you WILL see a lot of people at Rae Lakes.  Get there early if you want one of the nicer campsites.  (But then again, even the "lesser" sites are still good!)
Either way, you will have a great trip.
Cheers!
Jim