[pct-l] Sun Hat

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Wed Nov 5 22:03:42 CST 2008

Tilleys Too heavy?

Something is weird here.  My Tilley's LMT6 Airflow hat that I bought last
year only weights 3.5oz (99g).  By contrast, my offical PCT baseball cap
bought from the PCTA last year weights 3.4oz(96g).  Now my lighterweight
UCLA baseball cap does only weigh 2.6oz(72.5g).  But that isn't a huge
difference that my head is going to notice.  You add that sahara tent thing
to the back of any baseball cap and the weight goes up about an ounce since
that is what most bandannas weigh which puts it at or above my Tilleys hat
weight.  So I don't get the too heavy comment.

Perhaps some of you have seen some of Tilley's other hats rather then the
nylon material models.  They make them out of different materials such as
cotton or hemp.  As an example, my Tilley's TH6 hat made out of hemp weights
a staggering 6.2oz (147g).  Now I could understand that being considered
heavy.  Tilley also make smaller hats.  Their LTM5 airflow hat which has a
slightly smaller brim is also popular for hiking and should weight around
3oz.

Then again, it could also just be a perception due to its size?

-Sean