[pct-l] Sun Hat

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 22:12:41 CST 2008

Hi Susan -

I would normally agree with Steel-eye, but I can't this time.
That's because I can't open his link, so I don't know what the
hat is that he is talking about....

However, I found that my Outdoor Research "ball cap" was great
in the desert.  It has a stiff brim, and a shade that covers
your neck, and can be cinched up to cover your ears, and much
of your cheeks and the front parts of your neck.  It would
stand up to high winds, although there are times that any hat
will be challenged with the winds.

I think it is still available, although REI doesn't carry it
right now.  It is called the Sun Runner Cap.  It is on the OR
site at http://www.outdoorresearch.com

A number of fellow hiker wore something like the Tilley hat
http://www.rei.com/product/721740
I think it is good, but tough in heavy wind, and a bit hot
and a bit heavy.  I am guessing it would superb with a bug
net, so maybe two hats are good - one for the desert, one for
the buggy areas.

have fun, Kent