[pct-l] Sun Hat

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Nov 3 19:32:28 CST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 4:51 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Good afternoon, Susan,
>
> I won't give you a make and model, but I did find something wrong
> with the
> typical floppy hat shown in this photo:
> http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=258181
>
> Most of the time it worked fine, but in the southern sections the
> wind can
> be significant.  My hat has the required chin cord, but the front
> of the
> brim was far too floppy.  Very often the wind would either bend it
> straight
> up so it would no longer block the sun, or press it down over my
> eyes so I
> couldn't see.  The former was aggravating; the later was untenable.
>
> For the windy areas a cap with a stiff bill and a "Foreign Legion"
> skirt
> would be great, but when I again hike in the wind I'll probably
> just wear a
> common ball cap with my bandanna underneath to cover my neck and
> ears.  I
> did that a lot even with my floppy hat.
>
> Steel-Eye
> http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4645

I had the same problem. I solved it by tying my PCT bandana around my
hat and my head so that the bandana went over the top of my head and
over my ears and tied under my chin. This folded the hat over my head
like a taco. It was only necessary near Tehachapi and one other
really windy place near Jawbone Canyon.