[pct-l] the fuss about prepardness

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 00:13:18 CDT 2008

I can't and won't speak for the hikers in question,
but since i'm stuck in Mojave nursing some sort of
bizarre venemous bite on my foot,  i will mention that
some of the hikers who have sent their tents and/or
raingear home are the most experienced ones...the ones
i know who did it are AT vets.  When there is the
opportunity to travel lighter, and when you know you
have bailout points (roads, ranger station bathrooms,
etc.) if conditions turn bad, it can make a lot of
sense to pack light.  This is NOT what they'll do in
the Sierra or North Cascades.

It sounds to me like the real error is in calling on
someone who is busy giving of herself to hikers at her
home, and hoping/expecting she give herself more by
driving to pick someone up.  I know i wouldn't have
the gall to call up L-Rod to ask that of her.  I don't
know how she manages her time as is!   Still, when i
limped off the hills today, i didn't hesitate to ask
the car pulled over if i could get bailed out.  I hope
nobody blames me for asking.  I could have come
prepared with a heavy and thorough first aid kit
including novacaine cream so that i didn't need
anybody's help, but when one knows one CAN get to a
road and get out for help, well...that's what happens.
 The key is being prepared for when you can't get
help.   Here's to hoping that my PCT class and me are
ready for that.