[pct-l] Ultralight = safe and successful?

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue May 27 23:12:29 CDT 2008

Exactly, Donna,

and this is yet another contributor to the failure rate on the Crest. This
is still early season and at altitude anything can happen, frontal system or
not. Carry wet and cold weather gear at this time of year. Don't compromise
your comfort, pleasure, and success because you want to attain the lowest
pack weight.

Ultralight is fine for those who are willing to accept the consequences.
They've tried it out on earlier trips of all lengths and it works for them.

Practical-light is what you should shoot for. Whatever gear and food
assortment that works for you over your length of trail time and conditions
you expect to find. This becomes your pack weight. Choose the best materials
(not necessarily the lightest) for the durability you need; choose the
calories needed for the for the terrain expected--don't go lightweight in
the Sierra snows (the going is just too tough for idealistic weights and
volumes).

Donna, are the head counts really up from last year?

Mtnned