[pct-l] Knees on the PCT

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Tue May 27 15:19:16 CDT 2008

Hi Drew

Thank you for your thoughts on knee maintenance on the trail.  In a
few hours time I'm flying to the USA and a day after that I hope to be
hitting the trail to join the PCT where I left off at Trail Pass last
year.  Knee pain is one of my biggest worries.  It has become an
regular feature of my hiking since I got back into it a few years
ago.  I'm 55 now.  My knees have been very painful over the last week
just going up and down stairs at work.  I think part of this is the
result of anxiety over my trip.  I'm interested in your observation
that cold makes it worse.  It's winter time here and quite cold,
especially when I start work at 4:00 am.  If the cold temperature is
part of the cause then I can look forward to a lessening of that for
at least part of my hike.  I think I might invest in a warming knee
bandage.  I hike in shorts but I usually wear tights.  These are not
to be confused with panty-hose of similar.  I wear something like long-
johns.  We refer to them as 'polyprops' after the material used. I
find they keep my legs as warm as trousers without the constant
dragging effect on my thighs as heavy trousers rub. I think most New
Zealand hikers would wear shorts on the trail, with polyprops if it's
cold. They're quite effective in keeping light rain or heavy mist out,
at least where they are not rubbing up against other clothing.

PS.  Anybody driving from Onion Valley  to Independence to Lone Pine
to Horseshoe Meadows on Thursday 29th afternoon look out for an older
hitchhiker with a 1974-vintage oversized green pack.  I'll be leaving
my car in Onion Valley for the week, so if you see me on the trail
across Kearsarge Pass a week later you may be able to score a ride
down to Independence.

Denis Stanton
denisstanton at mac.com