[pct-l] Knees on the PCT

Andrew Reams abreams at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 27 14:46:43 CDT 2008

Knees.  I have bad knees.  Who doesn’t?  It seems this is a very common issue with PCT thru
hikers.  My knees have always cracked a lot whenever I would bend them, but they really started
hurting after I went over Muir Pass on the JMT in ’97.  By the end of our 17 day thru hike my
knees were killing me all the way down to Whitney Portal.   I’ve done some long distance hikes
since then and my knees still eventually will start hurting at a certain point.  Still, I continue to
hike and would eventually like to thru-hike the PCT.  So I’m working on devising a strategy that
would allow me to do so.

Right now I’m day hiking the PCT.  I’ve covered over 1100 miles so far this way.  What I like about
the day hikes is that it  allows me to carry light loads (under 5 lbs).  Also, I can rest after a 30
mile day, allowing for a recovery period where an inflammation can subside.  One thing I’ve
noticed is that my knees hurt and crack much more when the weather is cold.  In late November
and even March, the PCT is a ghost town here in Northern California.  It is also pretty cold then
with temps in the 20s, so the knees need to be protected even for a day hike.

Still I’d like to thru hike one day.  Below is my current strategy that I’ve devised to thru-hike the
PCT.  While much of it is common sense, a few of them I had to figure out through experience.  If
you have any comments or personal experiences that work for you I would love to hear them.

Here’s how what I do:
1) Keep the knees warm:
a) I use neoprene knee braces (Ace).  They stablilize the patella, but probably more importantly
they keep my knees warm. The problem with neoprene knee braces is that after 20 miles they
begin to chaf, especially behind the knees.  As much as you straighten  out the knee brace they
soon revert to the chaf chaf chaf.  One way to avoid this is to wear tights.  Yes, I said tights.  On
cold days these work great for warming your muscles and when the knee braces are placed on
top of the tights they prevent any chafing by the knee braces.  As the weather warms and the
tights are too hot I use “BodyGlide Anti-Chafing”.   This stuff works for chafing and is also great
for the feet to avoid blisters.   However, if I were to do a thru hike and use it every day for 5
months, I’m afraid the chafing would eventually occur.

b) Flex-Power – this expensive Ben Gay is great for the knees (http://www.flexpower.com).  Rub
a little on your knees and its like starting a furnace.

2) Lose weight: the lighter you are, the less strain on your knees.  I found losing 10 lbs off my
gut was equivalent to losing 10 lbs from my pack.  Also, your knees will stop hurting (or hurt
less) when you are not hiking in the mountains.

3) Reduce inflammation:
Vitamin I – Ibuprofin, prevents inflammation and a moderate pain killer.  Take one early, before
the inflammation starts.  I actually find aspirin is a better pain killer but Vitamin I is better for
inflammation.  Not a scientific fact, just my personal experience.  This is really a short term fix
and if I ever do a thru-hike I would like to avoid using multiple pills of Vitamin-I every day due
to any long term detrimental effects of Vitamin I overuse.

4) Hiking style: Reduce the impact on your knees
a) Trekking poles help, but I don’t use them for Day Hikes.

b) Keep toes in.  Most people walk pigeon toed.  This is especially true for downhills.

c) For the downhills, bend the knees slightly on each step.  Avoid having your knees taking all
the impact from each step.  By slightly bending your knees you allow your leg muscles to absorb
the shock.  The trekking poles will absorb some of the shock as well.

d) On the downhills, take smaller steps.  Start slow and take short steps.  Reduce the distance
your foot falls to the ground.

5) Stretch.
The muscles around your knees will work better if stretched out and warmed up.

6) Take breaks.
While taking the breaks, stretch and massage your muscles and knee.

That’s about it.

Overall this strategy is working but is not fully tested for a thru-hike.  I’d love to hear any of your
personal comments and insight on how to deal with bad knees while thru hiking.

Thanks for reading.
Drew