[pct-l] Rattled

Tom Aterno taterno at cox.net
Sat May 17 12:22:13 CDT 2008

With all of the socal hiking I have done, I never saw a rattler on a
trail.  Saw loads of rattlers while mountain biking, however.  Most
would just sit on the trail, and nothing would move them, not even
small pebbles thrown in their general direction (though never thrown
to intentionally hit them).

My thoughts tend to wander while I hike.  Some would say I daydream
while hiking.  This can be dangerous, since rattlers are so well
camouflaged, and I don't watch the trail as intently as I should when
the tred isn't rocky or technical.  Maybe this hiking behavior could
lead to a new and better trail name than what I currently have.

Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk