[pct-l] Rattled

William Skaggs weskaggs at primate.ucdavis.edu
Fri May 16 12:17:58 CDT 2008

> HIKE ON.....but be on the alert for Rattlers in the desert.
>
> JMT Reinhold

I've spent hundreds of hours hiking in the desert in Arizona and
California, and never had a close encounter with a rattlesnake (although
I've seen a few).  On the other hand, while hiking at about 10000 ft on San
Jacinto a couple of years ago I came upon a huge one sitting right in
the middle of the trail, and would have stepped on it if it hadn't rattled
at me.  I've also had several cross the trail in front of me while walking
through tall grass in northern California.

In short, the desert is where it's easiest to see them, but it isn't
necessarily where they're the most dangerous.

  -- Bill