[pct-l] Honey Bee WFU Fire

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Fri May 16 00:20:10 CDT 2008

Amanda wrote:

So is anyone doing anything about this fire besides watching it?

As long as the fire isn't crowning (burning in the tops of trees) or doing devastating damage in some way, it's usually best to let it burn.  Since it's only 370 acres after 9 days, I'd guess is a slow-moving ground fire, which is the kind that we actually *want* to burn through the forests every once in awhile.  Most western forest ecologies actually depend on fire for long-term health, and low-intensity fires clear out fuel that would otherwise contribute to devastating infernos.

It's interesting to note that the Apache Peak area was actually scheduled for prescribed burn at approximately the same time that the uncontrolled fire got started.  The prescribed burn was canceled due to high winds, which of course is what caused the uncontrolled fire to be, well, uncontrolled.

Eric