[pct-l] Will Hike for Food?

Standish Sibley stansibley at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 21:49:41 CDT 2008

Hi all.
I just renewed my membership on this list with one purpose in mind: to support a few hikers with food and supply drops in the coming months. I've done this before, and the last person I helped (whose partner dropped out very early with blistered soles despite months of training) wrote that she "ate like a queen" on the stretches I sent provisions for.
About me: I've been High Sierra backpacking since 1970 (or 1965 if you count Boy Scouts). My boyz, now 19 and 22, have been doing this since age 3.3 each, resp. I pride myself on my back-country cooking -- and I get lots of compliments. I've backpacked from Banff and Jasper in Canada, the Three Sisters in Oregon, and the Marble Mountains to Death Valley in California.  I've settled on Desolation Wilderness and the Yosemite backcountry out of Tuolumne as my very favorite locations, and have lots of experience there. Why look anywhere else? You'll be spending time in Desolation on the PCT, some stretches of which I've traversed. My kids and I have carried out many pounds of others' trash to keep campsites and trails clean so others don't even get a chance to notice. Some photos upon request. FWIW, with photovoltaics I'm now generating more electricity than I use, and drive a ULEV car when I'm not walking or taking public transport, or camping with
 "Pearl," the VW Camper.
What I propose to do is help a "few" people with great food along the way, mailed to supply drops. I have some unique and tasty and simple-to-prepare recipes I'm willing to share, but most importantly, I'll send you the elements to dine well. I'd prefer to supply areas in the general Tahoe and Yosemite areas, but I'm very open to to other prospects. My girlfriend will be helping, and she's a superb cook who uses mostly fresh and healthful ingredients. We're in San Francisco two blocks from a Post Office, so shipping to the Sierra should be expeditious.
I concentrate on appropriate ingredients with an emphasis on complex and simple carbs, oils or fats to keep you going, and protein to help you rebuild your tissues. Fiber is a given. My meals can be very easy to prepare and generally very easy to clean up after (hey, you've speed-hiked from dawn to dusk, who wants to spend time washing dishes before you start over?), and offer variety and tasty ingredients. And the treats! You'll have some fun munchies during your hiking hours, I guarantee. I usually ship about twice the amount of food/calories I'd use per unit of time. I'd need to know if you have special needs, like you can't eat peanuts or shun meat. I'm not sure I can support a vegan diet.
I can provide additional supplies upon request for any of you as you need, like medical stuff or lithium AA or AA batteries I buy en masse on eBay or replacements for worn-out clothing (read, e.g., hiking socks) or whatever, although I can't mail fuel unless I UPS it to a non-Post-Office drop. Best you ask some campground campers for stove fuel and I'm sure they'll help however they can. We live conveniently close to two or three REIs (SF, San Carlos, Berserkely).
Maybe we should take this offline. I'm not a flake. I can't aim you to my credit reports or anything, but you can check out my eBay ID, foo-fytr, with a 100% positive rating. Feel free to Google me. And I'm starting a new job in a week so time may be tight, but my girlfriend will support us all behind the scenes, bless her soul.
Let me know what you think, although my time resource will be limited, so I can hope only "some" trekkers.
Stan
P.S. Hunh. As I write I this I see Ahnold announcing the Tejon Ranch accord. Good timing on both our parts, or what?
P.P.S. No charge, gratis. That's it, end of story. I'd like to help.