[pct-l] June thru hike

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:11:04 CDT 2008

June is REALLY late to start a Northbound thru.  Even if you do more than
30+ miles per day, you will be in snow (or painfully cold weather) before
you reach Canada.  I recommend you switch to Southbound.  I'm though-hiking
Southbound this year.  I plan to leave about July 7th.  But I also plan to
average over 30 miles/day (I'm an ultralighter, so I can get away with that
day after day).  If you will be hiking more slowly, you may want to leave a
bit earlier.  You'll have do deal with some snow.... but to better deal with
old-compact-winter-snow up North than new, fluffy, can't-walk-on-top-of-it
snow in the Sierras.

You may also consider a flip-flop (starting in Campo, then jumping to Canada
after you finish with the Sierras, and completing the hike in the other
direction).  These are just some ideas.

-Austin