[pct-l] PCT through Agnew Meadows

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Thu May 1 12:29:43 CDT 2008

I believe that the high trail was chosen for the PCT becuase it is
snow free much earlier in the year than the JMT. Later in the season
it is much warmer and more exposed.

I've hiked both.  If "purity" and snow are not issues, I'd personally
take the JMT.

In that same area, I'd take the trail through Devils Postpile rather
than the official route because the official route was chosen to keep
the horse traffic out of the monument, and it is basically an over
used, hoof beaten. ankle deep dust bowl covered in horse shit. Ask me
how I really feel about it.

If you stay in the Red's Meadow Campground, it is easier to access the
trail through the Postpile too, instead of hiking back to the store
and through the stables.

HYOH