[pct-l] air travel

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 14:28:38 CDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 2:18 PM, David Stewart wrote:
> i am hoping that since i usually have good luck with airplanes, i
> will take
> my bag as carry on.

There are quite a few things that are in most packs that
will be problematic as carry on baggage:
   knife of any sort
   some stoves
   hiking poles
   matches/lighter

I recommend buying a cheap duffle bag and packing your gear in that.
Don't fill your pack and then insert the pack into the bag since that
makes it very difficult for your bag to be inspected.  You could also
mail your problematic gear to yourself (campo post office?).

> if they try and make me check it i might just start to cry and see
> where
> that gets me...

I would suspect that this would simply make your life more difficult.
As soon as you try to stray outside the lines at an airport you simply
attract *lots* of attention.

> seriously, i have heard of, but never seen, bags that are provided
> by the
> airlines for such things: apparently, they are hardcore canvass
> bags....but
> i have never in my life seen them...

I have seen heavy, transparent plastic bags used to wrap child car seats
and such that have lots of straps and things.  This is mainly so that
nothing gets caught in the luggage handling mechanisms and might also be
something to consider with a pack.  Best to check directly with the
airlines on this.

> also, if you are some kind of frequent flyer "elite gold and
> platinum level
> pimp", then you may have a higher weight and volume allowance with
> your
> airline.

I would hope that a hiker doesn't exceed he regular
luggage weight allowance.  For most airlines that is
two bags at 40-50 lbs each!

Radar