[pct-l] Lowest nighttime temps in socal?

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Mon Mar 31 10:08:26 CDT 2008

Keep in mind that So. Cal has a wide range of altitudes that you will
be passing through. Anywhere from about 1,000 to 9,000 feet.

However, my coldest spot was Scissors Crossing. A marine layer was
sending wisps of cloud over the Volcan Range, drastically dropping the
temperature down in Anza Borrego as a steady wind blew down the
valley. Earlier that day, as I descended from Pioneer Mail it had been
scorching within the enclosed canyon. Having that sudden temperature
drop sent me into my 20 degree Marmot bag bundled up in all the
clothing I was carrying and using the water cache as a wind block. And
that was at 4 in the afternoon.

Thing is, it was probably in the 50's, but a sudden drop from triple
figures was like being dumped in a glacial lake.

Expect the unexpected.

Joel (aka Vlad the Impaler)