[pct-l] Burney to Castella question

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Thu Mar 27 21:26:05 CDT 2008

I hiked Section O mid-May in 2000. It was a nice quiet hike, saw no one
on the trail until almost to I-5, except in car camps. The trail was
almost solid snow from Red Peak to Grizzly Peak, although we did find
dry places to camp along the way. Near Red Peak where the guide says if
the snow on the trail is too much trouble, then follow the dirt road, we
started following the road. When we started encountering 12-foot drifts
to climb up and down, we decided since it was the Pacific CREST Trail we
would just follow the crest. We stayed on course easily, encountering
trail at most saddles where the PCT changed from one side of the ridge
to the other. There were just one or two very short steep pitches of
snow, but a bear had cut tracks for us on those pitches. Based on recent
weather, the bear was probably less than a day ahead of us, for two
days.

It was a great time to hike this section, the snow did not slow things
down too much (20 mile days with no trouble), although we did have rain
a couple days, heavy one day.

AsABat