[pct-l] Air Travel, etc.

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 13:16:05 CDT 2008

Just a side note to the airline concerns.  They might
lose your bag, but more frequently they will damage
things.  I recently found a great way to pack my
backpack - a large, very heavy garbage bag.  I took
the bag to the airport, simply dropped the backpack
into the bag and sealed it with a large "electrical
tie" (one of those plastic self-locking loops).  It
worked very nicely.

Other remedies suggested on this list have been large
cardboard boxes, or a large plastic bin.  The plastic
things can be reused by handing them to new friends at
the airport.  I've used the tubs before as well - a
bit more expensive, but more secure from damage.

Another option is to 'carry on' your backpack.  Put
only the most critical/expensive items in the pack.
Then put all the prohibited items - stove, knife,
liquids (NO flammables!) in a seperate box that goes
as checked luggage.  This is probably the place to put
your sleeping bag and tent and extra clothes.

good hiking -
Kent