[pct-l] Nuts/Granola in mail drops

Eric Payne vaporjourney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:10:00 CDT 2008

I'm having trouble deciding how to handle shipping nuts for trail mix, and
granola for breakfast in my mail drops.  Nuts are known for their weak shelf
life, but I guess they can last a while if they are sealed in tins, but not
when bought in bulk and stored in plastic baggies?  Granola is even
trickier.  In Ashland when I buy tons of bulk granola for the rest of OR,
will this granola stay fresh while out hiking and it's waiting in a PO for
me?  Everytime I read about granola's shelf life, they always say seal in
airproof container for no more than a week.  I know I've had granola stay
fine for nearly 2 weeks, but I dunno about a month.  I can keep a huge stash
of granola in my parents freezer for the state of CA to ship to me, but I
can't have my OR/WA maildrop food frozen.  Does anyone have experience in
this area?